Sunday, March 27, 2011

Oh please G-man, save me from my fat self!

When I decided to write this blog, I wanted it to chronicle my trip to a healthier me. More and more, I have been finding other topics to write about. Now don't get me wrong, it has been a great exercise eating healthier, and feeling healthier. What this comes down to is personal choices; personal freedoms. Freedom being the key word here. I am FREE to eat as healthy as I want, or as poorly as I want. I am FREE to exercise and get fit, or remain my favorite shape, which is round. I am proud to live in a great Nation that affords me all these freedoms, right? Well, looks like I am wrong.

The latest attempt for the government to control what and how we eat involves forcing movie theatres to now display the calorie count of all the snack foods it sells. Maybe I am being narrow minded here, but when was the last time you ordered a large tub of popcorn with extra salt and butter and thought to yourself, "Gee this is so-o-o healthy for me!"  Yeah, I can't remember having any other thought about that big tub o'corn except yay! Free refills!

Little by little, our Government has had a hand in controlling what and how you eat by forcing fast food chains and other private businesses to post the calorie count in their meals. I for one do not go into a McDonalds and order a Big Mac because I am counting calories. All I am thinking about is that oh so greasy goodness. I also don't go into a Burger King looking for a salad. There is a group of people out there that think no matter where they eat, they should be able to get healthy food. That's great, I sometimes want to eat healthier food too. Tell you what, lets all pile into our Hybrid vehicles and go to the nearest healthy fast food joint. What's that you say? There aren't any? Well golly I wonder why?

We have restaurants like Burger King, Taco Bell and Arby's. We DON'T have a Tofu King, or a McBean Sprout or a Falafel Bell. If it is so important to have healthy eating options, why doesn't the loud minority open up affordable and healthy eating fast food joints?  I guess the key is affordability. Case in point, last week Tom and I decided to load up on fresh salad and veggies to continue our healthy eating journey. We purchase some tomatoes, some salad greens and some shredded carrots. We spent about $30.00. Thats right, for three ingredients. We could barely afford the tomatoes, but whats a salad without tomatoes? We could not afford the cucumber and the peppers we wanted either. And forget the fruit prices! No wonder more and more Americans have developed poor eating habits, they simply cannot afford to eat healthier!

The point I am trying to make is, I strongly feel that the Government should not be instructing private businesses on how and what they can sell. If the Government feels so strongly about my eating habits, then they should stop importing my vegetables from other countries and charging me three bucks per pound for a crappy tomato. One dollar for a cucumber from Mexico. That's right, a single cucumber! Five bucks for three peppers from Guatemala. It's very hard to find vegetables grown by local farmers, thereby supporting my local economy. Get the picture?

Now, if you will excuse me, I am about to go to Five Guys Burgers and Fries for a Big Ass Burger. As a nod to my oh so concerned government, I will pile said burger with some fresh lettuce and tomato. Bon Appetit!


No comments:

Post a Comment